La Pedrera – Mila House

by | Apr 7, 2024 | Architectonic Work

Basic information

Location: Passeig de Gracia, 92 Barcelona
Qualification: xxxxx (5 on 5)
Present condition: Outside: Façades and roof Very good / Inside: Common parts as courtyards, stairs, flat roof, exhibition areas, apartment to visit, etc Very good. Private areas (visits not allowed) normally adapted to present comfort needs.
How to go to: Buses: 7, 16, 17, 22, 24, 28
Metro: L3, L5 (Passeig de Gràcia or Diagonal)
Visits: The present owner, the Caixa Catalunya Foundation opened the building to visitors and develop a big variety of cultural exhibitions and events. Opening time: every day from 10 to 20 h.

Timings, prices and other information can vary, please verify it previously.
Available guidebooks: It is possible to buy in the bookshop of the house – Llibreria LAIE – a guide on La Pedrera, and also some other books and gifts on the house, Gaudí the Modernisme (Catalan Art Nouveau) and Barcelona.
Handicapped Accessibility: All the floors are accessible through lifts. Nevertheless the roof, duly to its own shape, has important unevenness and stairs and is not adapted to be rounded by wheelchairs.
Information: Phone: (34) 93 484 59 00 / Email: [email protected]
Ruta del Modernisme

History and description

Project of Antoni Gaudí i Cornet of 1905, built between 1906 and 1910 for Milà family.
This is one of the main Gaudí residential buildings and one of the most imaginative houses of the history of the architecture, this building is more an sculpture than a building.
Some of the collaborators in the works (following Permanyer) were the architect Josep Maria Jujol, the brothers Badia as iron forgers, the founder Manyach, the builder Josep Bayo and the plaster Joan Beltran (plaster ceilings of that building are truly exceptional).
The façade is an impressive, varied and harmonious mass of undulating stone without straight lines where also the forged iron is present in the shapes of balconies imitating vegetal forms.
The lofts are supported by the traditional Catalan “totxo” (brick) arching walls following the style developed by Gaudí in Santa Teresa school and Bellesguard also in Barcelona.
The roof show an exuberant fantasy, the chimneys designing vanguard shapes remember warriors in a forest of surprising figures.
The building was recognized by UNESCO as “World Heritage” in 1984.
Ruta del Modernisme